Empire Floral

I found this pretty little vintage Empire England china sauce boat in a local charity shop.


Actually, eagle-eyed bf noticed it first!  She's getting good!


I think it is too pretty to be a gravy boat - I can imagine it holding cream or a lovely raspberry coulis to pour over a scrummy dessert ... yum!


The little flowers are so sweet - think the blue one is a cornflower.  The dish has a lovely gilded edge, and I'm not sure if you will notice from the photographs, but there is a little raised design on the surface of the dish.


Really love this little scroll and flower detail.


Even the back stamp is lovely - do the figures 12-56 represent the month and year it was made?  Would like to know.

Love, Liz

Pop over to Flea Market Finds to see some other lovely thrifted things!

Comments

Hi thankyou for your lovely comments over on my blog ,im now a follower of yours too xxxxx lovely pics and blog xxx
Liz you always find the most beautiful pieces...I can only imagine a table set with all your pieces...love these dainty flowers...smiles...Renee
Madison said…
Oh, that's lovely! I likey very much. Off to google the 12-56. It's a mystery worth solving.

Madison xxx
Madison said…
http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/e/empire.html

It says often the month and year are included in the backstamp. So I think it was made in December 1956.

Madison xxx
Hi Madison - thanks for info!
Liz
Beautiful find...filled with flowers also!!
How pretty, yes that does look like a date?
MelMel said…
Lovely gravy boat...too pretty!
MX
Anonymous said…
So pretty lucky you!
Thea x
sky-blu-pink said…
Ooh! So lovely. I agree, certainly for a sweet sauce rather than gravy.
Rachael said…
Google is a wonder for dating things isn't it?! I managed to date some of the vintage crochet patterns I got yesterday all though the power of google. What the hell did we do before the internet?!
I've got a fantastic (and expensive) book which is an index of backstamps up until the 60s so I'll have a look later for you. It's very pretty though isn't it?
Jacqui Wise said…
This really is a pretty jug.
Unknown said…
That is really pretty, dee x
orchid0324 said…
Dearest Liz,
Lovely china♡♡♡
You call it a sauce boat; I agree with you it is really lovely for gravy. Nice idea you have for it.
Thank you for the word♪
Love you always, xoxo Miyako*
Maria Andrade said…
Hi Liz,
I wish I had a charity shop nearby... :( .
You always show superb finds, like this gravy boat!
Well, there are plenty of antiques fairs here - every weekend - but it's not always easy to find a bargain...
Hugs

Popular Posts