Do the Strand - 1901 Style!

I found this vintage Sunday Strand book from 1901 in a second hand bookshop while I was on holiday.  It is made up mostly of religious stories and moral tales.

 
It has some fabulous illustrations - with equally fab captions!
 
Don't like the look of those rockets!

Not really the kind of question a lady should ask!
 
This is from a series of strange doll adventures - one of them involved bull fighting!!!

 
I love this Louis Wain illustration of cats.

 
I have to thank Mrs C at Crivens Cottage for sending me this lovely little lavender heart with Shortbread and Ginger sewn on - it smells lovely.  She also included gorgeous postcards and some lovely trimming - I'll have to think about what I'm going to do with it.  Isn't it fabulous to receive such thoughtful gifts!

 
 
Enjoy your weekend.

Love, Liz

Comments

Curtise said…
Wonder if Bert did bat left-handed?
Great illustrations, love the Louis Wain.
How kind of Rebecca to send you such sweet gifts.
Have a great weekend, Liz. xxxx
Vix said…
I love Louis Wain's crazy cats! I'd be framing those cuties! x
Anonymous said…
I blushed when I saw that.
I have to say that I think Bert is a right handed Batter by the way he is riding that bike!
sky-blu-pink said…
What lovely graphics! And a perfect gift for you from Rebecca!
Lovely gifts and I love your sewing box makeover too! :) x
his_girl_friday said…
So awesome! DOES he bat left handed? We'll never know!
Used-to-Bees said…
Great looking find - those illustrations and captions are so like some of the humorous cards you get these days, but for real! The lavender heart is gorgeous - what a thoughtful gift!
x
Unknown said…
What lovely illustrations and how sweet is that gorgeous little lavender bag with your name on it! What a lovely gift:) x
I adore Louis Wain. And I am envious - that little personalised heart is so wonderful! x

Popular Posts